A research alliance is a group of regional stakeholders who share a specific education concern. The stakeholders agree to work together to learn more about the concern to be able to make sound decisions to improve education outcomes.
State assessment programs test knowledge and achievement, but by the time students take them, teachers can no longer address any problems. But instructors don’t have to wait for the end of the school year to find out if their teaching worked. They can use formative assessment to gather information about how well instruction is going, and implement solutions to improve student learning as it is taking place in the classroom. States and districts across the Central Region are increasingly turning to this method to improve educational outcomes.
REL Central is forming a research alliance to increase and improve the use of formative assessment, through:
Researching current practices of formative assessment, and their impact on student learning
Developing classifications of formative assessment techniques to communicate methods that work
Interested in this project, and want to know more? Contact us at email@example.com.
|The goal of the Formative Assessment Research Alliance is to increase the use of research, data, and analysis by policy makers and practitioners to select formative assessment programs and practices, and learn from initiatives. Chief State School Officers and State Superintendents in the REL Central region expressed a need for information on assessment tools and practices commonly used within and across grades. State, district and school leaders will use the information to better understand the experiences of frontline practitioners as they develop, coordinate and improve assessment programs and to develop and support effective policies and programming.|
| Research Alliance Questions
- “Classroom-based Assessment: Reliability and Validity” Study Guide
- Webinar #5 slides
- Webinar #3 slides
- Webinar #2 slides
- Webinar #1 slides
- Using Student Achievement Data to Support Instructional Decision Making
- Unobtrusive Assessment
- Teacher quality and student achievement: Making the most of recent research.
- Study Guide #7 Common Assessment
- Study Guide #6 Decision Making and Assessment Study Guide
- Study Guide #5 Student-Involvement in Assessment
- Study Guide #4 Unobtrusive Assessment
- Study Guide #3 “Classroom-based Assessment: Reliability and Validity”
- Study Guide #2 Common Core Standards and Learning Progressions
- Study Guide #1 Formative Assessment Activity
- Student-Involvement in Assessment Study Guide
- Learning progressions: Supporting instruction and formative assessment.
- Facilitator Guide Webinar #5
- Facilitator Guide Webinar #4
- Facilitator Guide Webinar #2
- Facilitator Guide Webinar #1
- Evaluating the effectiveness of teacher preparation programs for support and accountability
- DIBELS Oral Reading Fluency Predictive Effectiveness for 3rd-grade Reading Performance in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools
- Developing and Selecting Assessments of Student Growth for Use in Teacher Evaluation Systems
- CCSSR: A New Model for the Role of Research in Supporting Urban School Reform